ST JOHN’s, Antigua (CMC) – The West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) yesterday confirmed the appointment of former Australia batsman Stuart Law as head coach of the men’s team on a two-year contract.The 48-year-old Law, a former Sri Lanka and Bangladesh head coach, will formally take up the post on February 15, just weeks before West Indies face England in a three-match one-day series in the Caribbean.Media reports last month had indicated Law had agreed a deal with the WICB.He fills the post made vacant by Phil Simmons who was axed five months after leading West Indies to the capture of the Twenty20 World Cup in India last April.We are delighted to welcome Stuart to West Indies Cricket. He comes at an exciting and critical time in the development of the West Indies men’s team, with the emergence of some outstanding young talent, as seen in the most recent Test series against Pakistan,” outgoing Director of Cricket, Richard Pybus said.“He has great experience and breadth of knowledge as a player and coach and his cross-cultural experience and winning attitude will be key assets in the development of the team.”Law played a single Test and 54 One-Day Internationals and also campaigned extensively for English counties Essex and Lancashire.Following his playing career he served in a number of coaching roles. He coached the Australia Under-19s, was head coach of state side Queensland Bulls and of Big Bash franchise Brisbane Heat.Last year he served as batting coach with the national side for the tour to Sri Lanka.Law said he was anxiously looking forward to his tenure with the Caribbean side.“I am excited at the opportunity to contribute to what I think is an interesting time for West Indies. I think this assignment has come at an important time of my career.”He is the third Australian to coach West Indies following on from Bennett King and John Dyson who both experienced troubled tenures.A WICB release said Law would be charged with gaining “improved team results while providing leadership to players and team management”.West Indies currently languish at number eight in the Test rankings and ninth in ODIs.Law is one of three top-level WICB appointments announced this month, with former West Indies captain Jimmy Adams named Director of Cricket and Englishman Johnny Grave replacing Michael Muirhead CEO.
Tag Archive: 上海徐汇区生活
A New Zealand jiu-jitsu athlete claimed yesterday that he was “kidnapped” in Rio de Janeiro.Jason Lee, 27, tweeted: “What did you guys get up to yesterday? I got kidnapped. Go Olympics! #Rio2016.”The athlete said he was taken by men in police uniform and forced to withdraw money from two cash machines (ATMs).Lee has been living in Brazil for 10 months, but is not participating in next month’s Rio Games – which begin on August 5- because jiu-jitsu is not an Olympic sport.Meanwhile, the Australian Olympic team is refusing to move their athletes into the Rio Olympic Games Village because of concerns about the state of the accommodation.Also yesterday, seven Russian swimmers were banned from competing at the Rio Olympic Games by swimming’s governing body FINA. Those deemed ineligible for Rio include Yulia Efimova, a 200m bronze medallist in London, who had a provisional ban lifted by FINA last week.It said the McLaren Report has showed anti-doping rules were “not properly applied” by Russian authorities.FINA will also now re-test all the samples of Russian athletes collected at last year’s World Championships.As well as Efimova, Mikhail Dovgalyuk, Natalia Lovtcova and Anastasia Krapivina were withdrawn by the Russian Olympic Committee.Nikita Lobintsev, Vladimir Morozov and 17-year-old Daria Ustinova appeared in the World Anti-Doping Agency-commissioned investigation.That report by Dr Richard McLaren claims Russia operated a state-sponsored doping programme for four years across the “vast majority” of summer and winter Olympic sports.Following the findings, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) said it would leave it up to individual sports’ governing bodies to decide if competitors are clean and should be allowed to take part.FINA said it “acknowledges and supports” the IOC’s position.FINA will, therefore, “as a decision made as an emergency in the context of Rio 2016” subject the eligibility of Russian athletes to specific additional criteria, which are:No athlete corresponding to the samples mentioned in the McLaren report will be eligibleA board will review whether Russian athletes were subject to reliable anti-doping scrutinyNo athlete who has already sanctioned will be declared eligible to compete at RioFINA said the “exact implication for the Russian Swimming Federation is still to be clarified” and an “ad hoc commission will have to investigate”.The commission will consider any further information from McLaren’s ongoing investigation.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram